Office: East Building 3337B
B.S., Physics, Edinboro University of Pennsylvania - 1991
M.A., Physics, Washington University in St. Louis - 1993
Ph.D., Physics, Washington University in St. Louis - 1997
Malcolm's thesis work in physics was the numerical simulation of gravity waves in General Relativity. This required access to some of the largest supercomputers of the time and was his first foray into the world of High Performance Computing. In 2000 the Physics department acquired the first of its supercomputers and formed the Center For Scientific Parallel Computing. Malcolm maintained the systems and worked with a variety of groups from multiple departments to port their codes and, in many cases, to help them parallelize their codes for the first time. In 2005 Malcolm moved to the Center for Computational Biology and worked with the faculty members of the center to maintain their personal computing clusters. In 2010 Malcolm moved to the ERL to maintain their supercomputer as part of the Center for High Performance Computing.
High Performance Computing
- R. Bondarescu, G. Allen, G. Daues, I. Kelley, M. Russell, E. Seidel, J. Shalf, M. Tobias. The Astrophysics Simulation Collaboratory Portal: A Framework for Effective Distributed. Research. Future Generation Computer Systems 21 259-270 (2005)
- Balakrishna J, Daues G, Seidel E, Suen WM, Tobias M, Wang E. Coordinate Conditions and Their Implementation in 3D Numerical Relativity. Class. Quantum Grav. 13, L135-L142, 1996.
- Anninos P, Masso J, Seidel E, Suen WM, Tobias M. The Near-Linear Regime of Gravitational Waves in Numerical Relativity. Phys. Rev. D 54, 6544-6547, 1996.
- Anninos P, Masso J, Seidel E, Suen WM, Tobias M. Dynamics of Gravitational Waves in 3D: Formulations, Methods, and Tests. Phys. Rev. D 56, 842-858, 1997.
- Font J, Miller M, Suen WM, Tobias M. Three Dimensional Numerical General Relativistic Hydrodynamics I: Formulations, Methods, and Code Tests. Phys. Rev. D 61, 044011-144037, 2000.
- Alcubierre M, Allen G, Bruegmann B, Lanfermann G, Seidel E, Suen WM, Tobias M. Gravitational Collapse of Gravitational Waves in 3D Numerical Relativity. Phys. Rev. D 61, 041501-041506, 2000.
- Miller M, Suen WM, Tobias M. The Shapiro Conjecture: Prompt or Delayed Collapse in the Head-on Collision of Neutron Stars? Phys. Rev. D 63, 121501-121506, 2001.
- Font J, Goodale T, Iyer S, Miller M, Rezzolla L, Seidel E, Stergioulas N, Suen WN, Tobias M. Three-dimensional General Relativistic Hydrodynamics II: Long-term Dynamics of Single Relativistic Stars. Phys. Rev. D 65, 084024-084042, 2002.
- Unni S, Huang Y, Hanson RM, Tobias M, Krishnan S, Li WW, Nielsen JE, Baker NA. Web servers and services for electrostatics calculations with APBS and PDB2PQR. J Comput Chem 32 (7), 1488-1491, 2011.