Office: East Building 3350
B.S., Physics, University of Missouri St. Louis - 1972
M.A., Physics, Washington University in St. Louis - 1978
Ph.D., Physics, Washington University in St. Louis - 1983
Paul joined the Nuclear Medicine staff at Washington University in 1992 as a Research Instructor under a 2 year (half-time) grant from Siemens to develop image processing software to improve reconstructed of heart images. When this grant ended in 1994, Paul designed a large, multi-user, clinical database program for the Heart Station Diagnostic Center at St. Louis Children's Hospital while working at the Pediatric Computing Facility.
Paul joined ERL in 1997 as a Systems Manager. Currently, Paul manages all of the ERL UNIX systems, user accounts, software installation, and backups; and supports all of the ERL clustered solutions. In the past, Paul help design the original PKD database which served as a prototype for other databases at ERL.
Prior to joining the university, Paul worked as a scientist at Boeing where he was responsible for qualifying semiconductor wafers used to make electronic devices. He set up all of the computer-controlled, cryogenic test systems that were used to measure the electrical and optical properties of the starting wafers. Paul also worked as an adjunct Professor of Physics at University of MO-St. Louis, where he taught both introductory and upper level undergraduate physics courses.
Earlier in his career, Paul was a member of a sea-trial group at Electric Boat Div. of General Dynamics in Groton, CT. Responsibilities included performing ship-silencing acoustical surveys of newly-constructed and overhauled nuclear submarines. Sea-trials were conducted on the USS Narwhal (SSN-671), USS Lafayette (SSBN-616) and USS Daniel Webster (SSBN-626).
Clustering, virtual machines
- Kenneth Clark, Bruce Vendt, Kirk Smith, John Freymann, Justin Kirby, Paul Koppel, Stephen Moore, Stanley Phillips, David Maffitt, Michael Pringle, Lawrence Tarbox and Fred Prior , ”The Cancer Imaging Archive (TCIA): Maintaining and Operating a Public Information Repository”, Journal of Digital Imaging, Volume 26, Number 6, December, 2013, pp 1045-1057.
- Collecting 48,000 CT Exams for the Lung Screening Study of the National Lung Screening Trial, Clark KW, Gierada DS, Marquez G, Moore SM, Maffitt DR, Moulton JD, Wolfsberger MA, Koppel P, Phillips SR, Prior FW, J Digital Imaging, Vol. 22, No. 6 (December), 2009, pp. 667-680;
(online) URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10278-008-9145-9
- Development of a Google-Based Search Engine for Data Mining Radiology Reports Joseph Erinjeri, Fred Prior, P. Koppel, (submitted to Radiology, Jan 07).
- Creation of a CT Image Library for the Lung Screening Study of the National Lung Screening Trial Clark KW, Gierada DS, Moore SM, Maffitt DR, Koppel P, Phillips SR, Prior FW, J Digit Imaging, 2006, ISSN 0897-1889 (print) 1618-727X (online), URL http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10278-006-0589-5.
- The Craniofacial Anomalies Archive at St. Louis Children’s Hospital: 20 Years of Craniofacial Imaging Experience Perlyn CA, Kane AA, Koppel P, Clark KW, Marsh JL, Vannier MW, Christensen GE, Knapp R, Lo LJ, Govier D, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 108, no. 7, pp. 1862-1870, 2001.
- Attenuation Correction in Cardiac Spect Without a Transmission Source J. Wallis, T. Miller, and P. Koppel, J. Nucl. Med. 36(3):506-12, 1995 Mar.
- Transport Properties of LPE HgCdTe n/p Structures P. Koppel and K. Owens, J. Appl. Phys. 67, 6886 (1990).
- Mapping of Epitaxial Wafers by Spatially-Resolved Scanning Photoluminescence P. Koppel, Proceedings of 1990 U. S. Conference on Gallium Arsenide Manufacturing Technology, Reno, Nevada, April 1990.
- High Mobility LPE HgCdTe by Post Growth Indium Doping P. Koppel, K. E. Owens, and R. E. Longshore, in Future Infrared Detector Materials, Proceedings of SPIE, VOl. 1106 p. 70, Orlando, Florida, 1989.
- Hydrogen-like Continuum LIght Source in the Ultraviolet using a 4% Hydrogen-Argon Mixture P. Koppel, Appl. Opt. 27, 2646 (1988).
- Electrical and Annealing Properties of OMVPE-IMP Grown HgCdTe J. S. Whiteley, P. Koppel, V. L. Conger, and K. E. Owens, J. Vac. Sci. & Technol A6(4), 2804 (1988).
- Open Tube Slider Growth of LWIR and MWIR HgCdTe Without the Introduction of Excess Mercury Vapor D. C. Gillies, R. E. Longshore, T. J. Snyder, P. Koppel, and C. W. Fischer, Proceedings of the IRIS Specialty Group on Infrared Materials, Menlo Park, CA June 10-11, 1986.
- Wavelength modulation in the VUV using a vibrating slit P. Koppel, Appl. Opt. 24, 614 (1985).
- Visible and ulttraviolet reflectivity of HgCdTe P. Koppel, J. Appl. Phys. 57, 1 (1985).
- Mapping of Epitaxial Wafers by Spatially-Resolved Scanning Photoluminescence P. Koppel, 1990 U. S. Conference on Gallium Arsenide Manufacturing Technology, Reno, Nevada, April 1990.
- High Mobility LPE HgCdTe by Post Growth Indium Doping P. Koppel, K. E. Owens, and R. E. Longshore, SPIE's 1989 Technical Symposia on Aerospace Sensing, Orlando, Florida, March 1989.
- Visible an Ultraviolet Reflectivity of HgCdTe P. Koppel, 1983 U.S. Workshop on the Physics and Chemistry of Mercury Cadmium Telluride, Dallas, Texas, Feb. 1983.