Office: E&PS Building 133
B.S., Chemistry, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena - 1966
Ph.D., Geology & Geochemistry, University of California, San Diego - 1977
Rex Couture's scientific career began with a post-doctoral appoinment at Argonne National Laboratory in 1977, where he became a Staff Scientist in the Chemical Technology Division in 1979. In 1985, he was self-employed as a microscope instrument designer in Woodridge, IL. Rex came to Washington University's Earth and Planetary Sciences Department in 1986, where is currently a staff scientist X-Ray Specialist. He has lent his skills to the Radiology Department since 2000.
- Couture, R.A. (1989) An improved fusion technique for major-element analysis by XRF. Advances in X-Ray Analysis, 32, 233-238.
- Couture, Rex A., Smith, Michael S., and Dymek, Robert F. (1993) X-ray fluorescence analysis of silicate rocks using fused glass discs and a side-window Rh source tube: accuracy, precision and reproducibility. Chemical Geology 110, 315-328.
- Couture, Rex A. (1993) Sample transparency effects in tin determination by x-ray fluorescence. X‑Ray Spectrometry 22, 92-96.
- Couture, R. A. and Dymek, R.F. (1996) A reexamination of absorption and enhancement effects in X-ray fluorescence trace element analysis. American Mineralogist 81, 639-650.
- Couture, Rex A. and Hildebolt, Charles (2000) Quantitative dental radiography with a New Photostimulable Phosphor System. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 89, 498-508.
- Hildebolt, C.F., Couture, R.A. and Whiting, B.R. (2000) Dental photostimulable phosphor radiography. Dental Clinics of North America 44: 273-297 (invited contribution).
- Couture, R.A., (2000) Intelligent interpolation for background subtraction in trace-element analysis (abstract). Denver X-ray Conference, July 31 – Aug. 4, 2000, Denver.
- Couture, Rex (2001) Intelligent Interpolation for background subtraction – a hybrid approach for trace-element analysis. Advances in X-Ray Analysis, vol. 44: 355-360.
- Couture, R.A., Hildebolt, C.F. and Whiting, B.R. (2001) Photostimulable phosphor scanners for oral bone mass measurements. J. Dental Res. 80: 93 (abstract).
- Couture, Rex (2001) Background subtraction for trace-element analysis – Analytical comparison of methods. Abstract, Denver X-ray Conference, Steamboat Springs, August, 2001 - http://www.dxcicdd.com/01/pdf/F-51.pdf.Couture, R. (2002) Background subtraction for trace-element analysis – analytical comparison of methods. Advances in X-ray Analysis, 45: 441-446.
- Couture RA, Hildebolt CF(2002) Precise image – receptor calibration and monitoring of beam quality with a step wedge. Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, 31, pp. 56-62.
- Couture, R. (2003) Comments on noise and resolution of the DenOptix radiography system. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, 95: 746-751.
- Couture, R.A., Whiting, B., Hildebolt, C.F., and Dixon, D.A. (2003) Visibility of trabecular structures in oral radiographs. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, 96, 764-771.
- Couture, R., Dixon, D., Hildebolt, C., and Whiting, B. (2004) A new film-positioning device based on cross-arch stabilization. J. Dental Res., 83, Special Issue C, #1947 (abstract).
- Couture, R., Whiting, B., Hildebolt, C., and Dixon, D. (2004) Intensity-ratio X-ray absorptiometry: control for variable cheek thickness. J. Dental Res., 83, Special Issue C, #3983 (abstract).